Thursday, August 2, 2012

Handwritten Letters...



Today, as I was browsing in Barnes & Noble, I came across their "gift" section, which included some very beautiful stationary kits. That got me to wondering. Whatever happened to the art of a nice, handwritten letter? I remember, "back in the day," how the only way to get a hold of someone was either by calling on the land line telephone, or sitting down to write a nice, long, thoughtful letter to that person. I used to do that all the time with my friends, even those ones that only lived a few minutes from me! There was just something about giving, and receiving, a handwritten letter that said, "hi, I was thinking of you, and thought I'd send you this" that put a smile on your face, and that warm feeling in your heart. Now, that may sound mushy, but I know I definitely liked to receive letters from my friends. It showed that they cared to sit down & take the time to write it out, instead of hopping on the computer and sending a quick email. Yes, I am quite guilty of doing that, as I do know it's faster & easier, but I'm thinking of changing that, in my life anyway. Oh sure, I'll still write the occasional email, especially if I want answers to something quickly, but I think, if I want to tell someone about my day, or week, I'm going to sit down, pull out that pen & paper, and actually write someone a letter...who knows, maybe I'll put that smile on someone else's face and brighten up their day, just as I remember how mine used to...

*Jolene*

No comments:

Post a Comment