Thursday, August 9, 2012

Football, Fun, & Fall

 Ah yes, football season is just around the corner! As a matter of fact, preseason starts today for most NFL teams, and if you know me, you know I am a HUGE Green Bay Packers fan. I wait, what feels like to me, the excruciating long 6-7 months between the Super Bowl and the first preseason game, only to know that I shall be rewarded immensely once the season begins. I am also a Nebraska Cornhuskers (college) fan, so that just doubles my pleasure! Haha! I have so much fun during football season! Between showing my Packers & Huskers pride, and hearing the roar of the crowd as the teams run out onto the field for the first time, I just can't imagine anything else like it.
 I think that is one reason why Fall is my favorite season of the year. Not only do I get double the football, but I also get to watch the leaves change colors on the trees and begin to fall to the ground, where they crunch pleasantly under my sneaker clad feet. I also enjoy the much cooler weather most of us get, the sound of the chainsaws as people cut up the wood they will store all winter long to light their stoves or fireplaces. I also love the smell of Fall. I know that sounds weird, but Fall just has this distinct smell about it. The wood burning stoves that people are starting to fire up because of the cooler nights, the bonfires people are having as the last signs of Summer drift by on the cool brush of a breeze across your face, the musky smell of the trees and grass as they transition in preparation for the cold weather to come...I also love that first light freeze on the ground, signaling that Fall has definitely arrived. I love pulling out my sweaters and sweatshirts that I have stored in the back of my closet, and pulling out my jackets/coats again. I love being able to wear a hoodie & jeans almost everywhere I go.
Me in my Huskers hoodie, last Fall
I love being able to sit with my balcony door open & letting the cool breeze float in through the screen door, while I curl up under my afghan with a warm cup of tea & a good book. I also enjoy the Fall holidays-Halloween & Thanksgiving. The decorations, the costumes, the family gatherings. The music even tends to change a little bit, if that makes any sense. Granted, Christmas is my FAVORITE holiday of the year, but there's just something about Halloween & Thanksgiving that really makes it feel like Fall. There is also just something about Fall itself that puts a huge smile on my face, and I look forward to it every year...

*Jolene*

1 comment: